[isoc-ny] DO NOT PANIC!

ISOC-NY announcements announce at lists.isoc-ny.org
Wed May 23 20:21:03 PDT 2018

As you can't help but be aware, Friday May 25 is GDPR day. It behooves ISOC
as a leading global privacy advocate to abide by the letter of the law,
hence you will have been receiving multiple missives insisting that you
re-opt in to your ISOC membership before the deadline or be banished into
the void.

If you have not done so yet, *you can do this
at https://portal.isoc.org/membership/membership-management-centre
<https://portal.isoc.org/membership/membership-management-centre>*

At last count approximately a third of ISOC-NY's  members had opted in.  In
our case the main downside of your ISOC membership being terminated is that
you will not be eligible to vote in our elections. (next one is Dec 2019).

However, not *opting-in at ISOC will NOT remove you from this 'announce'
mailing list*.

If you should wish to do that you must opt out separately. That can be done
simply by mailing* announce-leave at isoc-ny.org <announce-leave at isoc-ny.org>*,
or responding to any announcement with the word 'unsubscribe'.  However if
you do opt-out of announcements, your membership in the chapter will be
terminated.

*ISOC-NY does not process or further make use of announce list subscriber
information beyond recording joins and leaves, and sending announcements. *

For those with legal minds wishing to know more about GDPR I recommend Greg
Albertyn's exhaustive presentation at CIGF last Monday
*https://livestream.com/internetsociety2/cigf2018/videos/175208430
<https://livestream.com/internetsociety2/cigf2018/videos/175208430>*

--

Joly MacFie
President - Internet Society New York Chapter (ISOC-NY)