[x-pubpol] THIS LIST IS BEING REPURPOSED TO U.S. POLICY DISCUSSION

Karen Mulberry kmulber at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 14:43:19 PDT 2016

Dave,

Please add me to the new list.

Karen Mulberry
COISOC Secretary
kmulber at gmail.com

On Apr 12, 2016, at 11:05 PM, Dave Burstein <daveb at DSLPRIME.COM> wrote:

Siva and others.

We're improvising here on setting up the list' apologies for any confusion. You're more than welcome to stay and contribute. It's an open list with the sole control that it focus on U.S. issues. We certainly welcome ideas from elsewhere. I've learned a great deal about spectrum policy for capacity from the Africans and know the Indian chapters are far ahead of DC understanding Net Neutrality.  I think Joly was just thinking it might be boring for others.

Here's the call I put out:

Folks

As discussed at the North American chapter call, we're starting a new, informal group to discuss what the chapters can do in U.S. policy. It will have no official role and cannot bind the chapters. Each chapter should decide for itself what actions to take.

It's open to anyone but let's keep the scope narrow: policy positions about the U.S. (and Canada if the Canadians want to join in.)

I volunteered to get things started and I'll maintain the list, probably as a Google group. (Better ideas welcome.) xxx Joly suggested we use the existing but inactive group, as we are. xxx

I suggest we start with something central to bringing the Internet to everyone in the U.S.: the new program to offer a $9.25 subsidy to the poor. I've reported broadband since 1999 and wrote a book on DSL

I think this is a sensible proposal because it more than covers the cost to add another customer to most networks with facilities in place, including all the large carriers that have ~94% of U.S. broadband. Broadband networks are a classic example of high fixed cost and low marginal cost. Once the network is built, it costs $4-8 to add another customer. Comcast freely offers a $10/month service for the poor and is reporting record profits. I take that as evidence other carriers can do similar.

I'm going to propose to the New York Chapter a resolution addressing two current issues. The House Commerce Committee is proposing a cap that probably means a third of those eligible could not be funded. Some companies are resisting joining. Verizon doesn't want to connect anyone for less than ~$70/month, twice the regular price in much of Europe. I think the FCC should not approve items like the merger of Charter and Time Warner unless they agree to support the program. That would offer 10/1 internet to a quarter of the nation's poor. (Sure, I'd like better but that is an important improvement.) I'll see what the other NY members think.

Other ideas welcome. For now, just send me an email and you're on the list.

Thanks