[x-pubpol] Our new North American director

Dave Burstein daveb at dslprime.com
Thu Apr 14 15:14:57 PDT 2016

Folks

His background, as I note below, is pr, not what we need. Let's think how
we can welcome him with courtesy but get him focused on what needs to be
done.

Ideas welcome

Mark and folks

Best of luck. ISOC is changing, I hope rapidly, to a bottom-up model, a
good thing.

On Linked-in, you describe yourself as a Senior public relations and policy
professional
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
<https://www.linkedin.com/vsearch/p?f_G=ca%3A4884&trk=prof-0-ovw-location>Public
Relations and Communications
<https://www.linkedin.com/vsearch/p?f_I=98&trk=prof-0-ovw-industry>

and on Twitter "PR guy in the Internet governance world."

which is very different than the job you've taken on, to support the
chapters and members, both institutional and individual.in a bottom up
multi-stakeholder organization.

As soon as you hit the ground, let's hear from you at a Chapters' call how
you're going to respond to the very different requirements of the new job.

In particular, ISOC is already overloaded with communications
professionals. Kathy Brown and Sally Wentworth are senior policy advocates
who have the skills and connections to take care of business. (None dare
call them lobbyists.)

I sure I'm not the only one who hopes to hear your plans to move forward.

ISOC has the potential to be very helpful, especially in connecting the
poor in all countries. There are immediate issues in the U.S. and Canada
that we should be taking the lead on. Let's make it so.

--
Editor, Fast Net News, Net Policy News and DSL Prime
Author with Jennie Bourne  DSL (Wiley) and Web Video: Making It Great,