[x-pubpol] Singapore to individually license websites, require a $50K bond against bad taste

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Wed May 29 21:54:43 PDT 2013

http://boingboing.net/2013/05/29/singapore-to-individually-lice.html

A reader writes, "The Singapore government just announced an intention to
begin regulating websites that report on the country, requiring a S$50,000
'performance bond' and compliance with any takedown notices from the
government within 24 hours. The reason for this is apparently to regulate
content which solicits for prostitution, undermines racial and religious
harmony, or 'goes against good taste'. Seems legit."

Dr Yaacob said: "It's about making sure that our regulatory framework is
consistent -- that's the most important thing. At the moment, whether we
like it or not, Singaporeans are receiving news both from mainstream media
and online sites.

"Our mainstream media are subjected to rules, you know... Why shouldn't the
online media be part of that regulatory framework?

"I don't see this as a clamping down, if anything, it is regularising what
is already happening on the Internet and (making sure) that they are on par
with our mainstream media."

The regulation will extend to foreign-hosted sites that report on
Singapore, though it's not clear what the Singaporean government will do
if, for example, the *New York Times* declines to obey.

News websites to be individually
licensed<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/news-websites-to-be-individually-license/690226.html>
[Hetty
Musfirah Abdul Khamid/Channel News Asia]

Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com