[x-pubpol] Chile’s Recent Lead Negotiator on Trans-Pacific Partnership Warns It Could Be a “Threat to Our Countries” Read more at http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2013/05/chiles-recent-lead-negotiator-on-trans-pacific-partnership-warns-it-could-be-a-threat-to-our-countries.html#Z2qwV4z4h54hJ1Mv.99

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Wed May 29 04:00:24 PDT 2013

via KK

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2013/05/chiles-recent-lead-negotiator-on-trans-pacific-partnership-warns-it-could-be-a-threat-to-our-countries.html

A not flattering bit of sunlight on the TPP negotiations comes from an
unexpected source. Rodrigo Contreras, the lead negotiator on the TPP from
Chile, resigned suddenly two months ago. It’s widely believed that he left
his post voluntarily. He’s held in high esteem not just in Chile but among
his fellow trade negotiators. His departure left people on the trade beat
scratching their heads.

It now appears probable that the reason for his resignation was that he saw
where the TPP was likely to go and didn’t want his name attached to it.
Contreras wrote an article in Spanish that ran last week Peru’s magazine
Caretas that described the promise, and more important, the dangers of the
TPP. He argued that many of its major thrusts, if they are not checked and
modified, are detrimental to less advanced economies. He also argues that
the Latin American countries have enough votes that if they act together,
they can influence the direction of the negotiations.

I’m including the Spanish original plus a translation courtesy Global Trade
Watch at the end of this post. Here’s the key section:

It is critical to reject the imposition of a model designed according to
realities of high-income countries, which are very different from the other
participating countries.

Otherwise, this agreement will become a threat for our countries: it will
restrict our development options in health and education, in biological and
cultural diversity, and in the design of public policies and the
transformation of our economies. It will also generate pressures from
increasingly active social movements, who are not willing to grant a pass
to governments that accept an outcome of the TPP negotiations that limits
possibilities to increase the prosperity and well-being of our countries.

Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com