[x-pubpol] Text Of Robert Plant, Pete Townsend & Brian May Letter Calling On Google, ISPs To Fight Piracy

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Wed Jul 25 12:30:05 PDT 2012

http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2012/07/text-of-robert-plant-pete-townsend-brian-may-letter-calling-on-google-isps-to-fight-piracy.html

Robert Plant, Pete Townshend, Brian May, Elton John, Simon Cowell and
six other UK musicians and music industry leaders have signed a letter
addressed to Prime Minister David Cameron demanding that he fully
implement the Digital Economy Act 2010, anti-piracy legislation which
passed in 2010.  The letter also called on ISP and search engines,
online advertisers to "play their part in protecting consumers and
creators from illegal sites." Full text of the letter:

    Sir,

As the world's focus turns to Britain, there is an opportunity to
stimulate growth in sectors where Britain has a competitive edge. Our
creative industries represent one such sector, which creates jobs at
twice the speed of the rest of the economy.

Britain's share of the global music market is higher than ever with
British artists, led by Adele, breaking through to global stardom. As
a digitally advanced nation whose language is spoken around the world,
Britain is well-positioned to increase its exports in the digital age.
Competition in the creative sector is in talent and innovation, not
labour costs or raw materials.

We can only realise this potential if we have a strong domestic
copyright framework, so that British creative industries can earn a
fair return on their huge investments creating original content.
Illegal activity online must be pushed to the margins. This will
benefit consumers, giving confidence they are buying safely online
from legal websites.

The simplest way to ensure this would be to implement the long-overdue
measures in the Digital Economy Act 2010; and to ensure broadband
providers, search engines and online advertisers play their part in
protecting consumers and creators from illegal sites.

We are proud of our cultural heritage and believe that we, and our
sector, can play a much bigger role in supporting British growth. To
continue to create world beating creative content, we need a little
bit of help from our friends.

Simon Cowell
Roger Daltrey
Professor Green
Sir Elton John
Lord Lloyd-Webber
Dr Brian May
Robert Plant
Roger Taylor
Tinie Tempah
Pete Townshend

Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com
-