[x-pubpol] Indonesia Blocks Porn Sites During Ramadan

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Mon Jul 23 21:46:33 PDT 2012

http://techpresident.com/news/22604/indonesia-blocks-porn-sites-during-ramadan

The Times of India
reports<http://www.webpronews.com/indonesia-doesnt-want-you-watching-porn-during-ramadan-2012-07>
that
Indonesia has blocked millions of pornography websites for the month of
Ramadan.

Claiming that there were more than 2 billion porn sites online, the
Minister of Communications said:

"We will block more porn sites during Ramadan, though that doesn't mean
that we will allow such sites to operate during the rest of the year."

Indonesia is not the only country to block porn sites, of course. The
British government is
consideringlegislation<http://www.technolog.msnbc.msn.com/technology/technolog/uk-wants-internet-providers-block-porn-default-753771>
that
would require Internet users to request permission from their ISPs to view
online sex sites. Nor is Indonesia the only Muslim country to introduce
restrictions on consumption of the forbidden during the holy month of
Ramadan, which began on July 19. Egypt, for example, bars its citizens
from purchasing alcohol during Ramadan. But as Zach Walton points
out<http://www.webpronews.com/indonesia-doesnt-want-you-watching-porn-during-ramadan-2012-07%22>
in
his post about this story, people will always find a way to circumvent
Internet bans.

Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com