[isoc-ny] TODAY: Phenomenal Black Women Wikipedia Edit-a-thon

ISOC-NY announcements announce at lists.isoc-ny.org
Sat Feb 22 01:46:44 PST 2020

https://www.nypl.org/events/programs/2020/02/22/phenomenal-black-women-wikipedia-edit-thon

The Schomburg Center, working with AfroCROWD <http://afrocrowd.org/>, is
proud to host *Phenomenal Black Women Wikipedia Edit-a-thon*, our sixth
year in which we invite members of the community and the general public to
edit and contribute content related to Black history and culture on
Wikipedia for the national Black WikiHistory Month
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Black_WikiHistory_Month> outreach
campaign.

This year we will focus especially on Black Women, past and present, adding
notable figures whose content is incomplete or completely missing from
Wikipedia.
[image: White House Conference Group of the National Women's Council]
<http://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/https://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/510d47de-8419-a3d9-e040-e00a18064a99>White
House Conference Group of the National Women's Council ,1938.

Wikipedia  <http://www.wikipedia.org/>is a free online encyclopedia written
collaboratively by the people who use it (i.e. crowdsourced). At this
event, you will learn how Wikipedia works and how to add content to it. You
will also have access to the rich resources of the Schomburg Center library
and assistance from volunteer Wikipedians, the experts, who will provide
support and instruction on working in Wikipedia.

This Wikipedia training and Edit-a-thon will be held in the Aaron Douglas
Reading Room of the Jean Blackwell Hutson Research and Reference Division
<https://www.nypl.org/locations/divisions/jbh-research-and-reference-division>
on
the Court Level (lower level) of the Schomburg Center. Stay for the entire
afternoon or drop in any time between 12pm and 4:30pm (reception to follow).

*Bring your own laptop*, if possible. Laptops will also be available to
check out with your NYPL library card on a first come, first serve basis.

*Advanced wiki editing skills not required; Passion for Black history and
culture is highly recommended!* *Bring a laptop!*

at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/phenomenal-black-women-wikipedia-edit-a-thon-tickets-90891317377
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/phenomenal-black-women-wikipedia-edit-a-thon-tickets-90891317377>*