[isoc-ny] MEETUP TUESDAY: Tales from the Trenches: Stories of NYC Community Networks @ThinkRiseNY @NYCmesh

ISOC-NY announcements announce at lists.isoc-ny.org
Thu Mar 16 04:28:09 PDT 2017

This might be considered a direct follow up to our previous NYC Community
Internet event, *just 17 years ago* <http://punkcast.com/15/index.html>! (
Good luck with the RealVideo slideshow!) Despite all that time, local
community networking is still in its infancy. NYC Mesh represents a fresh
growth spurt that we aim to bring perspective to, and strengthen, with this
event. It also should be highly entertaining. There are still a fair number
of seats available and, as mentioned, a livestream will be announced.
Please only RSVP if you are coming in person. There will no doubt be
drinking afterward.

joly posted: "On Tuesday March 21 2017 at 6:30pm EDT the Internet Society
New York Chapter (ISOC-NY) will host a meetup - Tales from the Trenches:
Stories of NYC Community Networks - at RISE New York. ISOC-NY is pleased to
be the fiscal sponsor of NYC Mesh, a fast-grow"

[image: ISOC-NY] <http://isoc-ny.org/>On *Tuesday March 21 2017* at *6:30pm*
EDT the *Internet Society New York Chapter <https://isoc-ny.org/>*
(ISOC-NY) will host a meetup - *Tales from the Trenches: Stories of NYC
Community Networks <https://www.meetup.com/isoc-ny/events/238393792/>*
- at *RISE
New York*. ISOC-NY is pleased to be the fiscal sponsor of *NYC Mesh
<http://nycmesh.net>*, a fast-growing Community Network that is providing
an open alternative to traditional ISPs in NYC. It is driven by a mostly
youthful cadre of keen hacktivists, who are learning as they go. It has
been said that if we don't remember our mistakes we are condemned to repeat
them. With that in mind, and also to celebrate their successes, we have
invited some pioneers of NYC community networks to visit and share their
accumulated wisdom. SPEAKERS: *Charles Rawls* - Dorsai Embassy; *Bruce
Lincoln* - Silicon Harlem; *Dana Spiegel* - NYC Wireless; *Tony Schloss* -
Red Hook Initiative. Seating is limited to 40 people, please do not RSVP
unless you are definitely coming. We will *livestream
<https://livestream.com/internetsociety/>*. Snacks will be minimal.

*What: Tales from the Trenches: Stories of NYC Community Networks
<https://www.meetup.com/isoc-ny/events/238393792/>*
* Where: RISE New York, 43 W 23rd St, NYC*
* When: Tuesday March 21 2017 6:30pm-9pm*
* RSVP: https://www.meetup.com/isoc-ny/events/238393792/
<https://www.meetup.com/isoc-ny/events/238393792/>*
* Twitter: @isocny <https://twitter.com/isocny>*

Comment <http://isoc-ny.org/p2/9064#respond>    See all comments
<http://isoc-ny.org/p2/9064#comments>

http://isoc-ny.org/p2/9064

--
<http://isoc-ny.org/p2/9064>
<http://isoc-ny.org/p2/9064>

Joly MacFie
President - Internet Society New York Chapter (ISOC-NY)
<http://isoc-ny.org/p2/9064>
<http://isoc-ny.org/p2/9064>http://isoc-ny.org          218 565 9365