[isoc-ny] WEBCAST TODAY: Workshop on community networking infrastructures #netCommons in Barcelona

ISOC-NY announcements announce at lists.isoc-ny.org
Fri Jun 17 06:01:43 PDT 2016

Last October, at the Radical Networks Conference in Brooklyn, Brian Hall
did a presentation on NYC Mesh
<https://livestream.com/internetsociety/radicalnetworks/videos/102833124>.
In the Q&A I asked him to give just one example of a successful community
mesh network. Without hesitation he mentioned guifi.net in Barcelona. I had
to look it up, I discovered that, while they use mesh, in reality it is
something of a hybrid with fiber, nevertheless it is impressive. Now it has
also come to the attention of ISOC's development team and its Director of
Strategy Jane Coffin, who tipped me yesterday that she, and guifi, were
participating in a local workshop to talk about how such things are done.
Also that it would be streamed out and could be mirrored. As I type this
they are on lunch break, with two sessions - governance and regulation -
already done. The first went into some detail as to how guifi is managed,
while the second revealed a remarkable eu directive
<http://ec.europa.eu/newsroom/dae/document.cfm?doc_id=7354> which mandates
all kind of infrastructure sharing. Coming up is the third session -
implementation, should be good! While there is a fair amount of English
spoken, a working knowledge of at least some Spanish will be helpful in
following along.

joly posted: "Today Friday June 17 2015 netCommons and the Polytechnic
University of Catalonia aka BarcelonaTech are hosting Workshop on community
networking infrastructures with the theme Efficient collaboration between
government, citizens and enterprises. The worksh"

[image: Livestream] <https://livestream.com/internetsociety/netcommons>Today
*Friday June 17 2015 netCommons <http://netcommons.eu/>* and the *Polytechnic
University of Catalonia <http://www.upc.edu/>* aka BarcelonaTech are
hosting *Workshop on community networking infrastructures
<http://netcommons.eu/?q=content/workshop-community-networking-infrastructures>*
with the theme *Efficient collaboration between government, citizens and
enterprises*. The workshop will discuss how they can strengthen ties among
these three actors to optimize a specific case of these infrastructures,
community networks, with a particular focus on fiber deployment. Sessions
will cover 1) governance, 2) regulation, and 3) implementation. The
conference has two main objectives: expand knowledge about this type of
collaboration and identify specific lines of action to make them more
efficient in the future. The event, conducted in English, Catalan, and
Spanish, is being streamed live on *guifi tv <http://tv.guifi.net/>*, and
mirrored on the *Internet Society Livestream Channel
<https://livestream.com/internetsociety/netcommons>*.

*What: Workshop on community networking infrastructures
<http://netcommons.eu/?q=content/workshop-community-networking-infrastructures>
Where: Barcelona, Spain When: Friday June 17 2015  9:30am-5pm CEST |
07:30-15:00 UTC | 03:30-11:00 EDT Agenda:
http://netcommons.eu/?q=content/workshop-community-networking-infrastructures
<http://netcommons.eu/?q=content/workshop-community-networking-infrastructures>
Webcast: https://livestream.com/internetsociety/netcommons
<https://livestream.com/internetsociety/netcommons> Twitter: #netCommons
https://twitter.com/hashtag/netCommons
<https://twitter.com/hashtag/netCommons>*

Comment <http://isoc-ny.org/p2/8555#respond>    See all comments
<http://isoc-ny.org/p2/8555#comments>

http://isoc-ny.org/p2/8555

Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast