[isoc-ny] #SharetheNet: Fight Cuban Net censorship, support wireless community net on #GivingTuesday

ISOC-NY announcements announce at lists.isoc-ny.org
Tue Dec 1 06:10:40 PST 2015

Internet Society—New York chapter

The Internet Society New York Chapter (ISOC-NY) <http://isoc-ny.org> is
now supporting other organizations that share the same vision of open
technology for social good.

Today, Tuesday, December 1, ISOC-NY sponsors a crowdfunding campaign as
part of #GivingTuesday, a global campaign for charitable giving as an
alternative to Black Friday.

#SharetheNet will fund Apretaste <https://apretaste.com>, an initiative
that brings Internet access to Cuba, and NYC Mesh
<https://nycmesh.net/>, a wireless community network in NYC.

This is a critical point in the evolution of the Internet:

Will the Net remain open and accessible to all - or locked down by
repressive governments and corporate monopolies?

The ISOC-NY answer to that question is:

Empower Internet users to build their own Net and share it!

We're asking your help to raise $152,000 in 24 hours to to make this happen.

Every dollar you give helps the open Net.

For Apretaste:

  * $6 provides one Cuban Internet user access that bypasses government
    censors
  * $120 connects 20 Cubans to the Net
  * $480 funds 80 Cubans to the Net as well as the development of an
    online encyclopedia, maps, store and weather service

Help Apretaste now
<https://www.generosity.com/community-fundraising/connect-cuba-to-the-open-internet>

For NYC Mesh:

  * $65 buys a router with open source software for an NYC resident so
    they can cut the cord to monopoly ISP's
  * $480 buys an antenna and sector radio to improve WiFi reception in
    lower Manhattan and the North and South side of Brooklyn
  * $2400 creates a supernode that connects one neighborhood to the next

Help NYC Mesh now
<https://www.generosity.com/community-fundraising/connect-new-york-to-a-community-own-net>

This is also a critical point for ISOC-NY - we're asking for your help
so our Chapter can take the lead in building an Internet that is truly
for everyone.

There are many ways to get involved in #GivingTuesday. I encourage you
to join the movement and visit www.givingtuesday.org
<http://www.givingtuesday.org/>to learn more about how you can make a
difference.

Thanks!