[isoc-ny] Magna Carta for Cyberspace at Brooklyn Law

ISOC-NY announcements announce at lists.isoc-ny.org
Tue Sep 8 08:21:38 PDT 2015

Professor Askin at Brooklyn Law asked me to forward info about his
conference on Sept. 17 to commemorate the 800th anniversary of the Magna
Carta.

... Then I met developers from Consensys, https://consensys.net a
company developing apps based on Ethereum, which is a next-gen
blockchain platform for creating smart contracts rather than just
digital currency. I invited people from Consensys to the "Verbal
Mini-Legal-Hackathon: Building a Magna Carta for the Digital Era"
session, and they will then follow with a longer Ethereum hackathon to
implement the ideas discussed. They're currently planning a 2-day
workshop and hackathon the following Friday and Saturday, 9/18-19.
Details to follow.

ISOC and related communities are welcomed and encouraged to attend an
event we’re hosting at Brooklyn Law School on Sept. 17 to commemorate
the 800th anniversary of the Magna Carta: The program is free and open
to the public. View Full Agenda: From Runnymede to Philadelphia to
Cyberspace: The Enduring Legacy of Magna Carta:
https://www.brooklaw.edu/alumniandfriends/attendanevent/magna-carta

The Magna Carta for Cyberspace that should be particularly interesting
to your colleagues, collaborators, and friends: Verbal
Mini-Legal-Hackathon: Building a Magna Carta for the Digital Era –
Collaborative Drafting of a Citizens’ Charter for Cyberspace2:45pm –
4:15pm In 1215, a few “noble” men drafted the Magna Carta. In 1648, a
few European “sovereigns” established the Peace of Westphalia creating a
foundation for the system of modern nation-states. In 1776, a few
well-educated white, male landowners drafted the US Declaration of
Independence. In 1996, John Perry Barlow drafted A Declaration of
Independence of Cyberspace. In 2015, 800 years after the Magna Carta, we
begin to harness our collective experience, knowledge, wisdom, and
judgment to “hack" a Citizens’ Charter for Cyberspace. We will
collaborate on the principles and language for such a Charter, and the
creation of a living, breathing document for the next phase in human and
planetary relations. In the spirit of the hackathon, this “verbal
hackathon” attempts to harness the ethos of the white hat hacker and to
get past the ranting and the platitudes and to focus on solutions and
ways forward. Ideally, like any effective hack session, we don’t leave
the room without a few compelling solutions. Thought-leaders and
participants include the following: Reed Hundt, former Chair, FCC and
Chair, Aspen Institute IDEA Project Charlie Nesson, Weld Professor of
Law at Harvard Law School and the founder of the Berkman Center for
Internet & Society Douglas Rushkoff, Author Marina Sitrin, Author of
They Can't Represent Us!: Reinventing Democracy from Greece to Occupy
Jeff Pulver, co-founder Vonage and Zula Daniel Berninger, founder, VCXC
Dan Gillmor, technology writer and columnist Harry Halpin, W3C Staff and
Research Scientist at CSAIL/MIT and ...

John Perry Barlow, lyricist & activist (via Skype)

***
In addition to the Magna Carta for Cyberspace discussion, we will mark
the 800th anniversary of Magna Carta and Constitution Day in the United
States with an extraordinary global gathering of renowned legal
scholars, authors, artists, historians, public officials, librarians,
and archivists from around the world for a wide-ranging discussion of
the continuing impact of this seminal document on U.S. law, civil rights
and liberties, art, the role of libraries and archives in the Digital
Age, and law in order in Cyberspace.

The Law School is proud to host the American Bar Association’s traveling
exhibit Magna Carta: Enduring Legacy 1215–2015 from September 13 to 27.
The exhibit highlights the Magna Carta’s lasting influence as the
signature founding document of modern democracy and constitutional
government, inspiring the creation of the Declaration of Independence,
the U.S. Constitution, and the Bill of Rights.

--
David Solomonoff, President
Internet Society of New York
president at isoc-ny.org