[x-pubpol] Verizon quantifies international site blocking requests

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Wed Jan 22 23:46:22 PST 2014

http://transparency.verizon.com/international-data

On occasion, we are required by government orders, regulations or other
legal requirements to block access to specified websites outside the United
States. While we have not received such blocking demands in the United
States, we did receive such demands in five countries in 2013. In Colombia,
we were required to block access to approximately 1,200 websites that the
Colombian government believed contained child pornography. In Greece, we
were required to block 424 sites related to online gambling. We were also
required to block websites in Belgium (37) and Portugal (2) related to
online gambling or copyright issues. Finally, we were required to block
access to websites in India but are precluded by law from identifying the
specific number of websites. (These figures relate to the number of
websites we were required to block access to in 2013. We may be required to
block access to such websites for an ongoing period of time, but we count
such demands only for the year in which they were initially made.)

Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com