[x-pubpol] Proposed Israeli Bill Legalizing Downloading Music and Movies

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Wed Dec 4 12:51:13 PST 2013

(via Jim Griffin)

http://www.jewishpress.com/blogs/life-in-israel-blogs/new-bill-legalizing-do
wnloading-music-and-movies/2013/11/20/

New Bill Legalizing Downloading Music and Movies

By: Rafi Goldmeier
The Jewish Press
Published: November 20th, 2013

Will downloading music and movies from the Internet, in Israel, soon become
legal?

MK Meir Shitreet (Hatnuah) along with other MKs have proposed a bill that
would make it legal for home users to download and copy movies and, songs
from the Internet and copying disks. The law, if passed, would only make it
legal for personal use, but not for selling.

The balance of this law is that it would add a tax to manufacturers and
importers of equipment used for making copies of disks. Money from this new
"tax" would go into a fund that would pay out to musicians and producers.

This law has been formulated in coordination with AKUM -the organization
that works to protect the rights, copyrights, of musicians and producers.

This was reported this morning in the hard copy of Maariv newspaper today.
The halachic position on such downloads has been debatable until now.

I have heard a wide range of piskei halacha on the topic. I think that this
law would make the entire discussion moot.

For those who say it is a halachic problem to download, I think it is only
because legally the music/movies are copyright protected. Once it is legal
to download and therefore the artists expect it to be downloaded and know
they are getting their money from a specific source, I see no reason for
those opinions to remain with a halachic issue.

Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com