[x-pubpol] MPAA: PIPA & SOPA are dead, long live 6 strikes

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Wed Oct 3 14:47:03 PDT 2012

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/10/mpaa-chief-admits-sopa-and-pipa-are-dead-theyre-not-coming-back/

by Joe Mullin

SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA—MPAA CEO Chris Dodd didn't seem eager to talk
about the aftermath of SOPA when he spoke at San Francisco's Commonwealth
Club on Tuesday night. The former Connecticut senator would have preferred
to wax poetic about innovation, California, and the collaboration between
Hollywood and Silicon Valley. "Every studio I deal with has a distribution
agreement with Google," said Dodd. "We've divided up this discussion in a
way that doesn't really get us moving along as a people."

He couldn't ignore it for long. Gavin Newsom brought it up only briefly,
but reporters approached Dodd after the event to get more details on how he
viewed the SOPA aftermath, as well as the MPAA's Internet lobbying more
generally. SOPA and its sister bill PIPA were both definitively killed
off<http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/01/internet-wins-sopa-and-pipa-both-shelved/>
earlier
this year after an overwhelming campaign of online action by citizens and
tech companies.

Dodd sounded chastened, with a tone that was a far cry from the
rhetoric<http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/01/sopa-livesand-mpaa-calls-protests-an-abuse-of-power/>
the
MPAA was putting out in January. "When SOPA-PIPA blew up, it was a
transformative event," said Dodd. "There were eight million e-mails [to
elected representatives] in two days." That caused senators to run away
from the legislation. "People were dropping their names as co-sponsors
within minutes, not hours," he said.

"These bills are dead, they're not coming back," said Dodd. "And they
shouldn't." He said the MPAA isn't focused on getting similar legislation
passed in the future, at the moment. "I think we're better served by
sitting down [with the tech sector and SOPA opponents] and seeing what we
agree on."

Still, Dodd did say that some of the reaction to SOPA and PIPA was "over
the top"—specifically, the allegations of censorship, implied by the black
bar over Google search logo or the complete shutdown of Wikipedia. "DNS
filtering goes on every day on the Internet," said Dodd. "Obviously it
needs to be done very carefully. But five million pages were taken off
Google last year [for IP violations]. To Google's great credit, it recently
changed its algorithm to a point where, when there are enough complaints
about a site, it moves that site down on their page—which I applaud."

Dodd also continued to laud the "six strikes"
plan<http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2011/07/major-isps-agree-to-six-strikes-copyright-enforcement-plan/>
that
US Internet providers have agreed to enforce on behalf of the entertainment
industry, insisting that it's an "educational" program aimed at illegal
downloads. "If people are aware they're downloading illegal content,
they'll go to a legal service," he said. "It's an experiment to see if we
can get cooperation. It's not a law—you don't go to jail."

The MPAA won't have any kind of back-door to subscriber records at Verizon
or other ISPs, Dodd said.

After the event, an EFF attorney in the audience asked, "Why wasn't that
spirit of cooperation in the room when SOPA was drafted?"

"I don't know," answered Dodd. "There was no widespread conversation." Dodd
seemed to think SOPA just wasn't seen as particularly controversial when it
was first introduced, with nearly half the Senate listed as co-sponsors.
"Going after foreign, rogue sites was not seen as an illegitimate idea," he
noted. The bill may have been seen as an easy vote, until stiff resistance
was seen in January.

Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com