[x-pubpol] MPAA: Piracy is NOT Theft After All

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Sun May 20 18:35:59 PDT 2012

[Source for these quotes: http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118054314 ]

http://torrentfreak.com/mpaa-piracy-is-not-theft-after-all-120520/

For decades the entertainment industry used the word “theft” to refer to
piracy.

Most famous is probably the “You Wouldn’t Steal a
Car<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0CkJgHKEY8>”
ad. But virtually all press releases of outfits such as the MPAA refer to
stealing or theft.

All of a sudden, however, MPAA boss Chris Dodd is whistling a different
tune.

After the SOPA revolt earlier this year the movie industry group realized
they have to position themselves better.

“We’re going to have to be more subtle and consumer-oriented,” Dodd
says<http://advanced-television.com/index.php/2012/05/20/mpaas-dodd-more-subtle-anti-piracy-approach-needed/>
.

“*We’re on the wrong track if we describe this as thievery.*”

Technically MPAA’s boss doesn’t say that piracy isn’t theft, but just that
it’s bad PR to keep using the term.

The real problem with the theft metaphor is that it’s not only inaccurate,
but also widening the
gap<http://torrentfreak.com/piracy-is-not-theft-111104/> between
people’s norms and copyright law.

Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com