[x-pubpol] Pirate Bay slams Anonymous for Virgin Media DDoS attack

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Wed May 9 11:31:59 PDT 2012

http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2173370/pirate-bay-slams-anonymous-virgin-media-ddos-attack

The Pirate Bay has attacked Anonymous over its takedown of Virgin Media's
website on Tuesday<http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2173237/anonymous-claims-virgin-media-website-pirate-bay-blocking-retaliation>,
claiming the use of distributed denial of service (DDoS) tactics is
tantamount to censoring the internet.

The file-sharing site voiced its disapproval of the attack on Wednesday via
a statement on Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/ThePirateBayWarMachine/posts/261478760616422>
arguing
the actions made Anonymous as bad as the people it claims to be fighting.

"We do not encourage these actions. We believe in the open and free
internets, where anyone can express their views," it said.

"Even if we strongly disagree with them and even if they hate us. So don't
fight them using their ugly methods. DDoS and blocks are both forms of
censorship."

The Pirate Bay went on to request activists give up the use of the tactic
and instead focus on mounting legal protests against website blockades.

"If you want to help; start a tracker, arrange a manifestation, join or
start a pirate party, teach your friends the art of BitTorrent, set up a
proxy, write [to] your political representatives, develop a new p2p
protocol," it added.

Anonymous claimed responsibility for an attack on Virgin Media's
site<http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2173237/anonymous-claims-virgin-media-website-pirate-bay-blocking-retaliation>
on
Tuesday.

The collective claimed that the attack was a protest against the internet
service provider's (ISP) compliance with a court
order<http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2172245/virgin-media-begins-blocking-pirate-bay-court-ruling>
forcing
it to block access to The Pirate
Bay<http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2171442/court-leading-internet-providers-block-pirate-bay>
handed
down by the High Court in late April.

In the past Anonymous has mounted DDoS attacks against other ISPs and
regulatory boards<http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2123056/dutch-certificate-authority-kpn-suspends-ssl-certs-breach>
 which have conformed to similar court orders.

Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com