[x-pubpol] FBI: We need wiretap-ready Web sites -- now

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Fri May 4 18:55:52 PDT 2012

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57428067-83/fbi-we-need-wiretap-ready-web-sites-now/

FBI: We need wiretap-ready Web sites -- now

The FBI is asking Internet companies not to oppose a controversial proposal
that would require firms, including Microsoft, Facebook, Yahoo, and Google,
to build in backdoors for government
surveillance<http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20032518-281.html>
.

In meetings with industry representatives, the White House, and U.S.
senators, senior FBI officials argue the dramatic shift in communication
from the telephone system to the Internet has made it far more difficult
for agents to wiretap Americans suspected of illegal activities, CNET has
learned.

The FBI general counsel's office has drafted a proposed law that the bureau
claims is the best solution: requiring that social-networking Web sites and
providers of VoIP, instant messaging, and Web e-mail alter their code to
ensure their products are wiretap-friendly.

"If you create a service, product, or app that allows a user to
communicate, you get the privilege of adding that extra coding," an
industry representative who has reviewed the FBI's draft legislation told
CNET. The requirements apply only if a threshold of a certain number of
users is exceeded, according to a second industry representative briefed on
it.  ....

Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com