[x-pubpol] US copyright lobby to Canada: pass our stupid laws or we won't let you into the suicide pact!

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Mon Jan 16 21:38:40 PST 2012

http://boingboing.net/2012/01/16/us-copyright-lobby-to-canada.html

Michael Geist sez, "The U.S. government just concluded a consultation on
whether it should support Canada's entry into the Trans Pacific Partnership
negotiations. The TPP raises significant concerns about extension of
copyright and overbroad protection for digital locks, so staying out might
be a good thing. However, the IIPA, which represents the major movie,
music, and software lobby associations, sees this as an opportunity to
force Canada to enact a Canadian DMCA and to implement ACTA, the
Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement. It has told the US government to keep
Canada out of the talks until those laws are passed, adding that any
exception to protect Canadian culture will not be included in the TPP."

TPP is the second coming of ACTA <http://boingboing.net/?s=acta>, the last
round of incalculably evil, back-room copyright shenanigans. This seems
like a pretty big miscalculation from America's copyright-pushers: "If you
don't pass the crazy, awful copyright laws we've demanded, we won't let you
be a part of our suicide-by-copyright-pact." Say it ain't so!

US Copyright Lobby Wants Canada Out of TPP Until New Laws Passed, Warns of
No Cultural Exceptions <http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/6243/125/>
Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com