[x-pubpol] (UK) Hunt: We'll slightly inconvenience pirate sites

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Tue Sep 13 23:58:13 PDT 2011

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/13/hunt_pirates_sites_speech/

In closed-door meetings chaired by Ed Vaizey that brought together copyright
business representatives and ISPs, the government has been keen to replace
the DEA's reserve powers on web-blocking with something voluntary. It has
done the first part, dropping the DEA sections, but not the other.

Vaizey does not appear sympathetic to the "no to everything"
anti-enforcement brigade, who he described as "armchair music business
critics <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/07/07/vaizey_at_the_bpi/>".

Leaks emerged<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06/23/site_blocking_vaizey/> in
June of a publishers and record company discussion document floating the
idea of an "Expert Body". This would prevent legitimate sites, or casual
infringers, from being blacklisted.

Not that a blacklist looks like a kiss of death. It just means warnings for
advertisers who advertise on the pirate sites, and credit card companies who
process their payments. We'd be surprised if there are many UK advertisers
or financial services companies who do either.

And as for delisting the sites from Google? Not very likely.

Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com