[x-pubpol] [Chapter-delegates] Biden: The internet ain't broke, let's not fix it

Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Wed Nov 2 04:30:29 PDT 2011

Hi Joly,

This discourse is not new, I've heard similar ones being read by Hillary
and others in the USA gov. It is taken from the drawer every time a
group of countries starts bringing back certain ideas regarding
international Internet governance.

But that same drawer has no similar discourse regarding the AICE
arbitrary domain takedowns without due process or the risk of imminent
approval of the SOPA bill of law, for example, which will affect the
Internet as a whole, not just whatever happens within the US legal
borders. Last thing I heard the IPR interests have even mobilized the
firefighters (!) to side with them in DC and vie for the law. On top of
all things, should I assume that improper use of resources under
arbitrarily created IP restrictions causes, hmmm, fire?! Take a look at
Techdirt's piece on this, which I reproduce below. And they are not joking!

Yes, the Internet as a whole (which is a real big and complex realm) may
not be "broken", but central (democratic!) countries are trying hard to
"fix" it.

frt rgds

--c.a.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20111101/02155916579/well-if-firefighters-support-e-parasite-law-then-you-know-it-must-make-sense.shtml

Well, If Firefighters Support E-PARASITE Law... Then You Know It Must
Make Sense

from the who-are-they-kidding? dept

Want to know just how desperate the folks at the MPAA are getting in
their attempt to turn back the clock and outlaw all sorts of innovation?
They're reaching the absolute bottom of the barrel, touting the fact
that firefighers have come out in favor of PROTECT IP/E-PARASITE. What
the hell do firefighters have to do with understanding detailed concepts
like free speech, censorship, prior restraint, third party internet
liability, and related topics? If you said absolutely, positively,
nothing at all, you'd be correct. So, why are firefighters suddenly in
favor of the censorship of the internet in America? It's not hard to
guess, given how DC lobbying works these days:

    "You go down the Latino people, the deaf people, the farmers, and
choose them.... You say, 'I can't use this one--I already used them last
time...' We had their letterhead. We'd just write the letter. We'd fax
it to them and tell them, 'You're in favor of this.'"

Yup. What are the chances that the International Association of Fire
Fighters has received large checks from those associated with the movie
business? But, more seriously, who does the MPAA actually think it's
fooling? Is Congress so stupid that it can't figure out for itself that
firefighters have no clue what this debate is about? Otherwise, why
would they be supporting censorship in America? Read the letter below,
and wager a guess how much was actually written by a firefighter, rather
than a lobbyist for Hollywood?