[x-pubpol] ISP outcry halts cybercops' automatic .UK takedown plan

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Mon Nov 28 00:18:27 PST 2011

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/25/nominet_domain_takedowns/

Under the proposals, cybercops would ask Nominet to remove sites from the
.uk registry if police said they had reasonable grounds to believe the
sites were being used for criminal activity.

However, the ISPA, London Internet Exchange (LINX) and the Open Rights
Group have told the organisation that they disagree with the policy. The
ISPA, a trade group that represents telcos including BT and Virgin Media,
gave The Register this statement: "ISPA intends to continue to work with
Nominet and the issue working group on the draft recommendations."

..as we reported earlier this month, it appeared that automatic powers
granted to allow police to take down websites had been slightly clawed
backed by Nominet.

If a domain suspension notice is disputed by a .uk registrant, Nominet
would consult an "independent expert", such as an outside lawyer, before
deciding whether to ask police for a court order, the new draft
recommendations state.

That's a plan which clearly isn't far-reaching enough for telcos and
campaigners, however.

"Our approach from the outset has been to seek consensus where possible.
Therefore, we are working to reconvene the issue group in January to
attempt to see whether differences can be resolved, prior to submitting any
recommendation to the Board," Nominet said.

"We remain committed to ensuring all stakeholders have their views
represented, so we can continue to run .uk for the benefit of all."

Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com