[x-pubpol] Cory Doctorow: It’s Time to Stop Talking About Copyright

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Thu Nov 3 12:38:59 PDT 2011

http://www.locusmag.com/Perspectives/2011/11/cory-doctorow-its-time-to-stop-talking-about-copyright/

The disconnection laws that the entertainment industry has bought for
itself in the UK, New Zealand and France provide for removing whole
households from the Internet on the strength of their copyright
accusations. If the net were just cable TV, this might make sense, but for
families all over the world, the net is work, socialization, health,
education, access to tools and ideas, freedom of speech, assembly and the
press, as well as the conduit to political and civic engagement.

There just isn’t such a thing as ‘‘copyright policy’’ anymore. Every modern
copyright policy becomes *Internet policy* – policy that touches on every
aspect of how we use the net.

And as we make the transition from a world where everything we do includes
an online component to a world where everything we do *requires* an online
component, it’s becoming the case that there’s no such thing as ‘‘Internet
policy’’ – there’s just *policy*.

I’m all for sorting out the rules that govern the entertainment’s supply
chain, but let’s keep some perspective here: when we ‘‘solve’’ copyright
problems at the expense of the Internet, we solve them at the expense of
21st-century society as a whole.
Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com