[isoc-ny] BetaNYC event Monday: Introducing the NYC Peoples' Tech Assemblies & the future of tech policy

ISOC-NY announcements announce at lists.isoc-ny.org
Sun Aug 22 01:03:51 PDT 2021

>From BetaNYC <https://beta.nyc/>

Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, the digital divide, role of technology,
and need for human-centered government services has been ever present.
Students of all ages engaged in e-learning, many adults worked remotely for
the first time, and online services from healthcare, banking, to retail
delivery have transitioned from being luxury services to essential, and
many government digital services struggled to keep up under the demand.
Those who were not connected and not privy to a digital education were left
behind.

Every step of digitization gives us an opportunity to improve the design of
municipal services. We have an opportunity to address inequities, ensure
privacy, and increase accessibility.

During the Summer and Fall of 2021, a diverse collection of civic
organizations will host a series of in-person and virtual events to listen
and learn. With support from volunteer facilitators (like you), we will fan
out across all five boroughs to engage New Yorkers on how technology plays
a role in their daily lives.

First, join us for an all-star panel to discuss the challenges and
possibilities of tomorrow. Then, join us as we kickoff our NYC Peoples’
Tech Assemblies; let us listen and contribute our experiences,
frustrations, thoughts, and aspirations.

Event Details:

Monday, 23 August 2021, from 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM EDT

Panelists:

   - Jumaane Williams, NYC’s Public Advocate
   - Gale Brewer, The Manhattan Borough President
   - Lucian Reynolds, Manhattan Community Board 1’s District Manager
   - Sandy Nurse, Founder of BK ROT, a co-founder of the Mayday Space, and
   Carpenter

*Register:  https://www.eventbrite.com/e/introducing-the-nyc-peoples-tech-assemblies-the-future-of-tech-policy-registration-167346358463