[isoc-ny] Ramesh Srinivasan Book Talk in Brooklyn Tuesday

ISOC-NY announcements announce at lists.isoc-ny.org
Mon Oct 28 11:45:25 PDT 2019

*(Ramesh was featured on 2 panels at last week's Global Dream Forum
<https://livestream.com/internetsociety/gdfnyc2019> - this should be worth
attending)*

<https://mcnallyjackson.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91a4b4a87594fb0b4ee983ea1&id=5d20a9819d&e=f8e96dc141>

*Beyond the Valley: Ramesh Srinivasan with Cathy O'NeilMcNally Jackson, 76
North 4th Street, Brooklyn, NY 11249Tuesday, October 29, 2019 - 7:00pm*

In this provocative book, Ramesh Srinivasan describes the internet as both
an enabler of frictionless efficiency and a dirty tangle of politics,
economics, and other inefficient, inharmonious human activities. We may
love the immediacy of Google search results, the convenience of buying from
Amazon, and the elegance and power of our Apple devices, but it's a
one-way, top-down process. We're not asked for our input, or our
opinions—only for our data. The internet is brought to us by wealthy
technologists in Silicon Valley and China. It's time, Srinivasan argues,
that we think in terms beyond the Valley. Ramesh Srinivasan is Professor of
Information Studies and Design Media Arts at UCLA. Cathy O’Neil earned a
Ph.D. in math from Harvard, was a postdoc at the MIT math department, and a
professor at Barnard College where she published a number of research
papers in arithmetic algebraic geometry.

Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast

ISOC-NY - http://isoc-ny.org