[isoc-ny] SFLC & CLS May 3: AI and Big Data in Government Policy

ISOC-NY announcements announce at lists.isoc-ny.org
Thu Apr 19 12:32:31 PDT 2018

Columbia University NYC

No webcast info at this time.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Eben Moglen <moglen at softwarefreedom.org>
Date: Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 3:25 PM
Subject: SFLC & CLS May 3: AI and Big Data in Government Policy

Greetings,

On Thursday, May 3, 2018, 4:00pm to 6:00pm in Jerome Greene Annex,
Software Freedom Law Center and Columbia Law School will present
a public discussion:

                 AI and Big Data in Government Policy

Participating will be Daniel J. Weitzner, Principal Research Scientist
at MIT CSAIL, and Director of MIT Internet Policy Research Initiative,
formerly of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, and
Paul Nemitz, Principal Adviser to the European Commission with special
responsibility for AI and Big Data. I will be moderating.

It is impossible to look even one decade ahead in the world's major
societies without foreseeing seismic changes in the operation of
government and the making of social policy that result from "big data"
acquired by mass collection of human behavioral information.  "Machine
learning," based on pattern discovery in this immense datascape, and
autonomous software-based decision-making often now called "Artificial
intelligence" will have profound consequences affecting the nature of
democracy, the rule of law, and the structure and function of
government institutions.  If only we knew what those consequences will
be.

In this conversation we will attempt to discover and discuss
the forces---technical, political, and legal---that are about to
reshape governments and societies worldwide.

If interested in attending, please respond to rsvp at softwarefreedom.org
at your earliest convenience.

Thank you and best regards.  I hope to see you in New York City on
May 3.

Eben

--

Joly MacFie
President - Internet Society New York Chapter (ISOC-NY)