[isoc-ny] WEBCAST TODAY – Community Networking Round Up 2016

ISOC-NY announcements announce at lists.isoc-ny.org
Tue Jan 2 11:32:03 PST 2018

Number 8 of the 12 streams has an early start today, since I have an
ISOC-NY board meeting to attend later! In fact the stream is already
running. But don't worry plenty left to go, and you can always backtrack.

As you may know a key element of the Internet Society 2018 Action Plan
<https://www.internetsociety.org/action-plan/2018/> is to emphasize and
support Community Networking initiatives
<https://www.internetsociety.org/issues/community-networks/>. But this is
not a new thing! In fact it is our Asia Regional Bureau that got this
started in 2010 with networks and training. Watch this stream to find out
more, and also the stories of other great programs around the world.

As an extra bonus, at the end I will throw in Matthew Rantenen's flash talk
"A SUccessful Community Network" from the Indigenous Connectivity Summit
<https://www.internetsociety.org/events/indigenous-connectivity-summit/>
last November.

joly posted: "In 2010 the Internet Society launched its Wireless for
Communities (W4C) program in India. The program expanded to projects in
both Nepal and Pakistan, winning awards along the way. In June 2016,
leaders of the projects assembled, along with leaders of ot"

[image: livestream] <https://livestream.com/internetsociety/cn2016>In 2010
the *Internet Society <http://isoc.org>* launched its *Wireless for
Communities (W4C)
<https://www.internetsociety.org/wireless-for-communities/>* program in
India. The program expanded to projects in both Nepal and Pakistan, winning
awards along the way. In June 2016, leaders of the projects assembled,
along with leaders of other similar efforts worldwide, on a call to compare
notes. Participants included *Rajnesh Singh*, ISOC Asia-Pacific Regional
Bureau;* Osama Manzar*, Director/Founder, Digital Empowerment Foundation
(DEF); *Mahabir Pun*, Nepal Wireless Networking Project; *Roger Baig Vinas*,
Guifi.net; *Mike Jense*n, Association for Progressive Communications
(APC); *Peter
Bloom*, Rhizomatica; and *Jane Butler *and* Sebastian Beuttrich* – Wireless
Networking in the Developing World (WNDW). A recording of the call will be
webcast today *Tuesday December 2 2017* at *2:15pm EST* (19:15 UTC) on the*
Internet Society Livestream Channel
<https://livestream.com/internetsociety/cn2016>*.

*View on Livestream: https://livestream.com/internetsociety/cn2016
<https://livestream.com/internetsociety/cn2016>*

Comment <http://isoc-ny.org/p2/9759#respond>    See all comments
<http://isoc-ny.org/p2/9759#comments>

http://isoc-ny.org/p2/9759

--
<http://isoc-ny.org/p2/9759>Joly MacFie
President - Internet Society New York Chapter (ISOC-NY)