[isoc-ny] WEBCAST TODAY: GIP Digital Watch Briefing: Internet Governance in March 2017

ISOC-NY announcements announce at lists.isoc-ny.org
Tue Apr 11 04:06:36 PDT 2017

​Apologies for formatting problem! My wordpress has a mind of its own today!

​
@InternetSociety calls for stronger encryption @G20
<http://isoc-ny.org/p2/9114>

[image: ISOC logo]On April 8 2017 ISOC-NY received the following memo from
the Internet Society Global Policy team’s *Constance Bommelaer*:

As G20 discussions wrap in Düsseldorf, we wanted to share with you the *Digital
Economy Declaration
<http://www.bmwi.de/Redaktion/DE/Downloads/G/g20-digital-economy-ministerial-declaration-english-version.pdf?__blob=publicationFile&v=10>*
that
was adopted today, outlining a path for a strong digital future. But as
world leaders head home, we must remember there is still work to be done.

In the months leading up to the high-level meeting, The Internet Society
sent a strong message that a sustainable digital economy depends on an
Internet we trust, and that encryption can help make it happen.

*We need to keep saying this*.

To that end, our President and CEO – *Kathy Brown* – has published an
opinion piece today on The Internet Society’s website

*You can read it here.
<https://www.internetsociety.org/blog/public-policy/2017/04/securing-our-digital-economy>*

And here:

   - *Twitter
   <https://twitter.com/internetsociety/status/850359724579201024>*
   - *LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/company/219986>*
   - * Facebook
   <https://www.facebook.com/InternetSociety/posts/10154163291258239>*

*We ask that you share this post with your contacts and on channels. *

This marks the acceleration of our efforts to send the message to
governments that encryption is a positive thing.  As Kathy Brown wrote in a
comment to Morning Tech, *“It is time to stop kicking the encryption
football up and down the field. Instead, we should recognize that
encryption is key to the future digital economy and stop treating it as
simply an obstacle to law enforcement. We need to deconstruct the issues
faced by law enforcement and agree together how we can achieve a trusted
digital economy underpinned by encryption.”*

If you want to read more coverage of our message, please see the following
news articles:

   -  *ABC News* abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/…
   <http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/germany-criticized-web-giants-encryption-plans-46625642>

   -  *Business Insider*
   <http://www.businessinsider.com/ap-germany-gets-criticized-by-web-giants-over-encryption-plans-2017-4>
   http://www.businessinsider.com/…
   - *Chicago Tribune*
   <http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/sns-bc-eu--germany-internet-encryption-20170406-story.html>
   http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/…
   - *CNBC*
   <http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/06/the-associated-press-germany-gets-criticized-by-web-giants-over-encryption-plans.html>
   http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/06/...
   - *New York Times*
   <https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2017/04/06/world/europe/ap-eu-germany-internet-encryption.html>
   http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2017/04/06/world/europe/…
   - *The Street*
   <https://www.thestreet.com/story/14076996/1/critics-unhappy-over-germany-s-encryption-plans.html>
   http://www.thestreet.com/story/14076996/1/…
   - *NDTV* gadgets.ndtv.com/internet/news/…
   <http://gadgets.ndtv.com/internet/news/germany-gets-criticised-by-web-giants-over-encryption-plans-1678658>
   - *WHIO*
   <http://www.whio.com/technology/germany-gets-criticized-web-giants-over-encryption-plans/vc05WuSNtKcpJGJ6PyO74O/>
   http://www.whio.com/technology/...
   - *Daily Mail*
   <http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-4387680/Germany-gets-criticized-web-giants-encryption-plans.html>
   http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-4387680/…
   - *Daily Press*
   <http://www.dailypress.com/news/nationworld/sns-bc-eu--germany-internet-encryption-20170406-story.html>
   http://www.dailypress.com/news/nationworld/…

Together we can keep sending the message that a strong digital economy
depends on an Internet we trust.

Best regards,

Constance​

​