[isoc-ny] WEBCAST TODAY: A11yNYC meetup – How Learning ASL Improved my Alt Text

ISOC-NY announcements announce at lists.isoc-ny.org
Tue Jan 3 14:17:47 PST 2017

First webcast of the year! And a good one. Everybody needs to be reminded
to do alt texts, and this is an original approach.

joly posted: "Today, Tuesday January 2 2017  at 7pm ET Accessibility New
York City (A11yNYC) will hold its monthly meetup. This month's presentation
is How Learning ASL Improved my Alt Text. Knowing how to explain things in
an inherently visual language can help to exp"

[image: A11yNYC]Today, *Tuesday January 2 2017*  at *7pm ET Accessibility
New York City <http://a11ynyc.com/>* (A11yNYC) will hold its monthly
meetup. This month's presentation is *How Learning ASL Improved my Alt Text
<https://www.meetup.com/A11yNYC/events/236358319/>*. Knowing how to explain
things in an inherently visual language can help to explain visual images
in inherently non-visual ways. The structure of description in American
Sign Language has parallels with the needs of those who can't see an image,
but want to understand it. Speaker *Shaun Lariaut
<https://twitter.com/slauriat>* will explore the basic concepts around alt
text and the basic conceptual structure of visual description, review some
examples, pick apart the process of how each piece fits together, and then
run through a few examples. The session will be webcast live via *A11yNYC
YouTube Channel <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHOYghYYNIM>* with closed
captions.

*View on YouTube*: https://youtu.be/gHOYghYYNIM
Comment <http://isoc-ny.org/p2/8873#respond>    See all comments