[isoc-ny] WEBCAST TODAY: ITAC Forum: A collaborative approach to Internet Security

ISOC-NY announcements announce at lists.isoc-ny.org
Tue Jun 21 12:29:50 PDT 2016

ISOC Colleague *Dan York* is following the OECD meeting in Cancun this
week. Follow his tweets at https://twitter.com/internetsociety

He wrote at 3pm:

The ITAC Forum session about "*A collaborative approach to Internet
Security*" will be beginning shortly here in Cancun.  Live stream at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMulPFiYyLw

*A collaborative approach to Internet Security*

The Internet (a global interconnected network of networks) has enabled a
global digital economy to flourish. Yet, the same interconnectedness that
fosters communication, opportunities, innovation and commerce on a global
scale, also means that participation in the global digital economy means
global interdependence and shared risk. Therefore, we have a common
interest in the security of this shared economic growth resource and a
collective responsibility
to care for the Internet. Further, the continued effectiveness of the
Internet as a driver for a vibrant and sustainable global digital economy
also depends on the Internet being a trusted platform for social
interaction and commerce.

As the Internet and its applications become ever more pervasive in our
daily lives through the Internet of Things, widespread use of sensors and
the digitization of biological traits, collaborative risk-based approaches
to Internet security are needed more than ever.

• How can we, as a global community, overcome silo approaches and evolve
beyond considering only one’s own security risks?
• How will we share resources to ensure the delivery of a more secure
Internet?
• How will we integrate the rights and expectations of users in security
solutions?
• How will we collaborate to empower e-entrepreneurs and SMEs to
effectively contribute to the overall security risk management of the
Internet?

Building on the OECD Recommendation on Digital Security Risk Management for
Economic and Social Prosperity, this session will highlight real world
examples of collaborative approaches to strengthen the security of the
Internet and its use, identify economic impediments to deployment of
Internet security solutions, and suggest ways forward so that the
Internet’s full potential can be realised.

Moderator: *Robin Wilton*, Technical Outreach for Identity and Privacy,
Internet Society

Speakers
*Karen McCabe*, Senior Director, Technology Policy and International
Affairs,
IEEE Standards Association
*Laurent Berna*t, Cyber Security and Privacy Risk Policy Analyst, OECD
*Yurie Ito*, Director of JPCERT/CC and Founder and Executive Director of
CyberGreen
*David Conrad*, Chief Technology Officer, ICANN
*Sebastian Bellagamba*, Regional Bureau Director for Latin America and The
Caribbean, Internet Society

--

Joly MacFie
President - Internet Society New York Chapter (ISOC-NY)